Friday, September 02, 2005

Chasing our Techonorati Tails Again...

Got an email from Sour Duck this a.m. about the new Technorati Blogfinder...I also read Barb Dybwald's piece on it at the social software weblog...

I went in and looked at it myself, then read what Dave posted on Sifry's Alerts .

More of the same old same old from Sifry and company. Another complicated and time-consuming little doo-hickey that a blogger needs a degree in computer science to figure out. More codes to paste and play with when all one really wants to do is write and be read...

Sifry left a little message on my Blake Rhodes post. I emailed him yesterday, explaining that many bloggers that come into the blogosphere on a daily basis don't necessarily have the computer savvy to figure out how to use Technorati's features.

Why is it that all the new Technorati features and tools are far more complicated to use than the blogging software that supports most blogs?

The whole scheme is becoming more complicated than is necessary, and, at the moment, seems to only benefit those who have the time to figure things out, or the friend who can figure it out for them.

If the sorting/categorizing/tagging and listing schemes get more complicated, more and more of us will be buried under the rubble of tags.

Right now, it looks like another scheme to make us chase our tails, and keep theirs very, very long.


, , , , ,,

3 comments:

Tish Grier said...

Dave,

I sent an email to y'all yesterday :-) I'd be glad to give you suggestions, even give you a flea's eye view of the whole thing. If I don't receive an email from you, I really have no idea if you're listening or just responding to my snarking.

ohdawno said...

I discovered Technorati at least a year ago, maybe more, when Wil Wheaton talked about it on his blog. I went there and tried to register my little site but for the longest time everytime I'd post I'd get an error message. I think it's working now, not that I get enough traffic to be even a quantum particle sized blip. I must say that the last time I went there I did figure out a feature or two and I find it a bit more useful.

Guess I'm going to have to look into the blogfinder thing now. I'm glad I know about your blog so I can learn this stuff!

Tish Grier said...

dawno...I like passing along anything I come across that's new.

I found out about Technorati because I say a little chicklet on someone's blog and clicked it. Still, there was no information on what it really *is*...the new stuff is much, much better...but the name itself meant something and it presented itself that way.

"Technorati" being a riff on the term "Illuminati"...the Illuminati being a secret society of those in the know who are direct the goings-on of the world (I could be more eloquent but writing at the moment under a time limit) So, the "Technorati" of us are those who are in the know...but the checks and balances and methods and tools in Technorati are actually making it feel a heck of alot like Scientology...